What's in a Name?

I'm on a search for a loveseat, because I like so much a tiny couch that is meant for amorous moments (as opposed to one designated to breaking hearts, as was the breakup couch at the Franseen's house. How many times did Josh and I stop by to visit and find some poor boy sitting on the antique sofa in the entry, having his heart crushed by one of the Franseen sisters? Three times.  Three times we boisterously invaded their home and then back right on out the door, oh no! He's on the breakup couch!  And he doesn't even know it yet!  Never sit on that one.)

So I've been doing a lot of browsing of online furniture stores. To my delight, I came across this unsightly behemoth yesterday.


"'The Dominator"

No joke. Someone thought that giving a loveseat a super aggressive name (and also super sloppy arms) would be a good sales strategy.  Obviously somewhere along the line someone recognized the need to tone down the WWF, so the description on the website specifically states "despite its name the Dominator won't dominate the rest of your furniture."  That is obviously a relief to the arm chairs, but what about to those sitting on the Dominator? Seems like it could just as accurately be called the "Sleeze Sofa" or "Date Rape Davenport."

The inappropriateness of these names reminds me of a camper I saw filling up at a gas station last summer:
Not the actual one I saw, but another of the same name.
It is difficult to fathom who thought to name the Intruder, but it really brings to mind a loud, aggressive, careless adventurer who invades a natural setting, crushing flowers and squirrels underfoot. I also can't believe how many Intruders there are available for sale, apparently the idea of being a destroyer of nature isn't that abhorrent to all.

Maybe, despite my logic, these are actually examples of successful marketing.  I like my running shoes to have names that include the word "Turbo" and some degree of the thousands.  Perhaps there are those looking for a soft piece of upholstered furniture who also want to be reaffirmed of their supremacy over any others in the living room.  Perhaps there are others who who need to assure themselves and traffic that, though they are in an RV, they are still tough, still brazen, and not going to take any crap from anyone-especially not from the great outdoors.

It makes me wonder if these people are the same people and if both sets of people are the ones who shoot deer from their easy chairs.  Fortunately for them the Dominator comes in the form of a single seat recliner, so they can stick one in the living area of the Intruder and feel really good about themselves.


Comments

  1. Sounds like something The Donald would buy. The love seat, because I very much doubt he camps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We went to breakfast at my friend Charlotte's yesterday morning and the headline of the newspaper lying on her step was "Women working on Trump's Campaign Paid Less than Men." "It is astonishing to me that any woman would work on Trump's campaign for any amount of money" | commented. Her husband replied "well I think if you read the article it will tell you that both of the women make dollars less." Yikes!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts