Dear Mr. President

My brother has been vocalizing his ambitions to be the governor of Illinois.  This is either because he would like to visit the Illinois penitentiary (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/01/30/illinois-governors-in-pri_n_2581182.html) or because, while looting his childhood bedroom for items he would like to take with him into his new home he came across a letter from President Bill Clinton thanking him for his fabulous drawings of the White House, ensuring him that "children like you are the leaders of the future!"

When President George Bush was elected to his second term, we tried very hard to find the silver lining.  It was this: while we did have signed photographs from Bill Clinton and Al Gore, we did not have any signed photographs of George Bush and Dick Cheney and there was still time to get them.  So Richard and I sat down and, using our left hands, drew childlike drawings of national monuments and treasures to send to Washington, D.C.  My letter included a picture of Abraham Lincoln and a little girl holding hands and this note:

Dear President Bush,

This is Abraham Lincoln, he is my favorite president because he freed the slaves.  Someday I would like to be the president, but I can't because I'm just a girl.  What is your favorite food?  My favorite food is beans.

Love,
Carrie

This way, he would have to write back:

Dear Carrie,

You can be anything you want, even if you are a girl.  I like beans too.

Love,
President Bush

-----

Truthfully, I didn't even want a picture of Dick Cheney. But I do think a reply would have been nice.

Comments

Popular Posts