Office of Admissions Please

A few years ago, when I spent my summers floating on the Charles, improving my uni-tan and doing helpful tasks around the boathouse, I had a conversation with Heather that occasionally returns to my mind.

Heather was frustrated by the seemingly inadequate prospective rowers/Harvard students with whom she had been meeting that summer.

"And when I ask them for an example of a hardship that they have overcome, not one has had an answer."

"What sort of hardships do you think they will have had?"  I asked, "I can't think of any hardships that I've had to overcome."

"Well," she replied, "you painted this whole room."

Sometimes, when I play "potential college interview" with my brain (quick!  list three adjectives to describe me!  Who to invite to dinner?  Biggest flaw that is also an attribute!)  this one comes to mind.  Like today...

Hardships that I've had to overcome?  Oh boy.  Have you ever had to stir up a jar of natural peanut butter?  Yeah, I know right.

Comments

Popular Posts