5


 “When I’m five” my
brother used to say,
as though five were old
and far away,
“When I’m five I think I may
climb the silo
help bale hay,
and ride a bike,
and spend the night
away from home,
I’ll be so grown.”

When I was five and he was three
he rode his bike even better than me.
I think, because, he had no fear
and determined speed his only care. 

He’s worried, now,
he’s twenty two.
“There’s hardly any time to do
what it takes to make a name,
keep life from being just the same.”

Oh Richard please,
do not fret.
Remember nothing
stopped you yet.

Comments

  1. Carrie,
    I love this poem especially since I know the two kids it is referencing! And I agree...Richard will find his place in the world...he is tall, handsome, smart and funny!! .... just like his sister! Love, J

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts