Sezi (doll) and Spot (dog)

I wrapped you up in ribbons
because you were my doll
And tied you to the handle bars
so that you would not fall

You tagged along with Spotty
the solid colored dog
on adventures through the cow yard
to picnics on piles of logs

as the youngest monarch,
at court beneath the apple trees
my doll and dog and braided hair
as careless as the breeze

I learned to talk and never stopped
So I could tell you tales
And all the while my secrets shared
As we climbed upon hay bales

My mother asks my father
“where is that Carrie girl?”
My father responds “the dog is gone,
He’s keeping safe her world.”

I thought that I could see a way,
To climb up to the sky,
And balance on the jet streams left
By airplanes flying by

We’ll run upon a sunray
That touched down to the earth
We follow that bright stair case
And know that life is worth

Only who you share it with
Your dog and doll and dreams,
In the middle of a cornfield
Chasing down sunbeams

Turning ‘round in still young rows
Plants only inches high
Spot the Dog will lead us home
We’re all inclined to fly

These are all my children
I throw them up into the night
And there they shine like shooting stars
And I wish with all my might

That they may never land down
To the world without me
going places every day
which only I can see

Comments

Popular Posts