To the little Princess Ella

To the little Princess Ella,

One night in late summer, shortly before I headed back East for the school year, I sat on the couch with my grandma. We were saying our goodbyes, trying to find a way to wrap the enormity of our love for each other into a few simple words. The load was too heavy, though, and so we just sat in the darkness and tried not to let the sobs of sadness that were building up inside of us escape.

What a horrible thing it is, to have to say goodbye to someone who may very well be gone before you can see them again. What a horrible thing it must be, to have to say goodbye to someone who seems convinced that you will die in the next four months. (What a horrible thing it is, to write a story like this to a baby.)

As the tears poured over my lashes and down my cheeks, she suddenly reached out and took hold of my feet in her hands.

"You're just like your grandpa." she said. "Richard always was one for going barefoot." Even now, this will make me smile through my tears.

Ella, since you've left we've been finding your socks all about the place. You're just like our grandpa, you little single socked baby.

Comments

Popular Posts